Friday, January 2, 2009

bling bling and forward thinking.


I am in that season in life where it seems that EVERYONE around me is either seriously dating someone, engaged/planning a wedding, or having babies. I know I am totally exaggerating and making it seem like I am the last person on the planet that is single. This is not the case although sometimes it can seem that way.

What I do know is that sometimes I feel alone or out of place when I am in the company of couples, whatever stage of life they are in. This is "normal" and "everyone feels this way at one time or another" but it is always different when it happens to you.

I am assured that I don't need a physical person to fulfill the places of my heart that only the Lord can fill. Our society has filled our head with the idea that you need to have a relationship to be "happy" or "satisfied." That is a load of crap if you ask me. That being said I know that the Lord has created us so that we can in turn create, but that is NOT all there is to life.

We live to worship our Lord and to give him the glory in all things. We are to acknowledge him and he will make our paths straight. While it would be great if Mr. Right could do that, I am sure that he doesn't have "turning water into wine" on his resume.

Psalm 62:5 "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him"

Hello.

Hebrews 13:5 "God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.'"

Again I say...hello.

I know that my day will come when I walk down the isle and I get to grow old with my best friend. Until then I can live my life knowing that He is enough for me and that He treasures my in a way no man on earth could.

I leave you with this little nugget of truth.

"A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man needs to seek Him in order to find her."

7 comments:

J Yo said...

I know it doesn't mean much coming from someone in a different phase of life than you, but get really good at relying on the Lord to meet ALL your needs. Even when you're married with kids, you'll still need Him and only Him to meet them.

Being content is a good place to be...and in His perfect timing, you'll meet "the one"! :)

anne said...

As a member of the married crew, I am going to basically echo what Jess said.

I love my husband and think the world of him. However, there is a part of me that is sooooo jealous of your life right now. Married life is fun, but it's hard work too. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade it for the world! However, there are some serious benefits to living the single life...and loving God. Take it all in. Learn as much as you can now. Once you're married, that time alone with God becomes harder and harder to come by. Suddenly life is filled with in-laws, kids (or so I'm told), maintaining your relationship, spending time with friends (both sides) and figuring out how to balance it all.

You are wise beyond your years Alicia! Keep in mind that some of us didn't meet our husbands until fairly recently...just when we started to feel as though we were the only ones who were NOT destined to get married. :)

Valerie said...

Silver lining... It would be hard to head off to the land down-under for an unspecified amount of time with a ball & and chain and the attached responsibilities...

(you are still hoping/planning/dreaming right?)

christy said...

Hard lessons to learn, huh sheesh? God uses whatever He can in our lives to grow us close to Him. Sometimes it is a lack of a relationship and sometimes it IS the relationship! Sometimes it is our children, sometimes it is money... He uses all things for good. He cares for you and has not forgotten to map out EVERY minute of your life. It is all in His plan and it is unfolding JUST as He wants it to. Isn't He smart?

Alicia said...

Thanks guys! Is it ridiculous that I am a little teary.

J...I can only imagine the dependence on the Lord that has come from your marriage and children. Know that when my turn is here...I will be asking for your wise counsel!

Anne...I am definitely trying to enjoy all I have left of my single life. Thanks for the encouraging words!!

Val...I still plan on going to Aus, just not sure when. :) but someday...

Cweek...I am pretty sure that He is teaching me through the LACK of relationship. :) I am thankful though...cause I have an AWESOME family to lean into!

shawna said...

love, love, love you sheesha!!!

Stacy K said...

What a powerful quote.
"A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man needs to seek Him in order to find her."
I believe it to be true.